at Wellington Square
In this time of spiritual struggle, Wellington Square has developed a series of questions and verses to keep our congregation grounded throughout the week. Read our selected Bible verse and meditate with us, wherever you are.
John 15:4-8 English Standard Version (ESV)
4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
The Square Root
Getting Rooted in Jesus
- Be still and quiet in the presence of Jesus.
- Ask all the other voices to be quiet except for the voice of Jesus.
- Invite Jesus to draw near to you as you seek to draw near to HIM.
- Go over the previous day with Jesus. Ask Him what went well. (Rejoice with Him) Ask Him what grieved Him? (Grieve with Him) Ask Him where You need His grace to live well for Him and who you need to extend grace too?
- Look at the day before you. Ask Him how you might serve HIM well today? (List) Then ask Him for the grace to serve well in these places. Ask Him who He’d have you lift-up before Him for His Help? (List) then pray for them.
- Ask Jesus if there is anything else He’d like to say to you this morning?
(listen and write it down)
Getting Jesus Word Rooted in YOU
- Ask Jesus to open your mind and heart to His Word for you today.
- Read a portion of scripture or a devotional.
- Ask the Jesus for one thought or idea He’d like to focus on today? (Underline it)
- Ask Jesus why He is bringing this to your attention and how you might apply it to your living?
- Journal your conversation and ponder the Word throughout the day.
Some Helpful Questions to Ask
- What does the verse mean?
- Is there an error to avoid?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a sin to confess?
- What have you come to know about God, His purposes and His way through this thought?
- What do you sense God wanting you to do in response to this Word?
- What adjustments does this Word require in your attitudes and actions?
- What grace will you need from Jesus to live this Word out?
Bringing Your Wish List to Jesus
How can Jesus intervene to bring joy to your heart? Think inside out. If it lines up with His Presence (you sense His approval with the request) His Word (it lines up with His known Will) and your heart (will dance with thanksgiving as it is done for you), then you are on the right track.
Write the requests down, date them and from time to time go over them noting Jesus’ response.
Gather virtually with someone or a few others who you think would join you in being a “SPIRITUALLY VITAL” disciple during this period (by phone or similarly by Zoom/Google Hangout or another virtual means). Use this time to discuss your progress in being rooted in Jesus and His Word in you. Encourage one another, pray for one another and help carry one another’s burdens.