March 17, 2020
Dear Wellington Square Family,
Following this morning’s announcement from Premier Doug Ford declaring a state of emergency and our WSQ Emergency Exec Team meeting, we have come to the difficult but necessary decision to close the church indefinitely. Staff will work from home if/when they can and there may be skeleton staff present at the church on any given day. However, for all intents and purposes the church is closed allowing only limited access on an as needed basis.
The previously planned day of fasting and prayer scheduled to be held in our sanctuary this coming Friday March 20th from 8am – 8pm has also been cancelled. This too was a difficult decision for the team to come too but we felt it is in the best interest of health and safety for all.
As such, all midweek activities at the church have been suspended. Our Friday Night Community has built a plan to stay as operational as is practical for as long as is possible. The dinner itself will not be held, but a “drive thru” pickup is being organized to get meals to those most in need.
In terms of worship, for the foreseeable future, services will be live stream and our Ministry Team is starting to vision today what that looks like. It might be a little scaled back at first but the team is committed to delivering an all-inclusive family worship that will include children’s time, prayers of the people, the continuing study of ‘The Story’ and an element of scaled back music (piano or single acoustic guitar).
You can also sign up for our e-blast on the What’s Happening page https://www.wsquare.ca/news-events/ Click the E-Blast button, enter your email address and click the submit button. This way updates will come directly to your inbox.
How can I help?
Consider joining a ‘care team’ to phone and check in on shut-ins or those vulnerable in our community. You can send us an email at Board@wsquare.ca if interested.
Consider joining a delivery team to help bring goods to those who might need help during the outbreak. You can send us an email at Board@wsquare.ca if interested.
Prayer! Continue to pray for our world, our church and it’s leadership, staff and volunteers for calm, clarity, wisdom and strength during these challenging times.
- pray Psalm 91 over your families and nations. “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty”
- pray against fear, knowing that God has not given us a spirit of fear. 2 Timothy 1:7 says. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind”
- pray for wisdom for our leaders and protection of the first responders while protecting their people and minimizing as best as possible the spread of the virus
- pray that God will cease the Coronavirus worldwide and that He will heal everyone who is currently affected by it
Financially! Since it is uncertain just when we’ll be able to return to ‘regular’ worship services and we still need to ensure we can keep the church open on a limited basis and staff paid, we’re sharing the direct link to the ‘donate’ page setup for Wellington Square through CanadaHelps. This site might be of particular interest to those who have envelopes rather than being on PAR and are wondering how they can continue to support the church financially during these times. We will also be pinning this link to all eBlasts, Facebook posts and the website homepage. While CanadaHelps takes a 4% handling fee from each dollar donated, all donations received through CanadaHelps will be extremely helpful to us as we strive to continue to deliver ministry support and services. The link is:
From this page you can choose the amount you wish to give and designate it is as desired in the dropdown box provided. The donations will default to ‘Outreach and Expenses’ unless you choose otherwise.
Continue to share with the Emergency Exec Team your thoughts, concerns and suggestions by email to Board@swquare.ca. There are many moving parts to this pandemic and we’re working hard to cover off as much as we can in a world where conditions and directions change rapidly
And as we’ve all been reminded many times but bears mention again, practice good hygiene:
- good hygiene helps prevent the spread not only of Coronavirus but also colds and flu
- wash your hand frequently – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow or a tissue, not your hand. Wash immediately after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose
- avoid touching your face; especially your mouth, nose and eyes with unwashed hands
- regularly disinfect surfaces frequently touched including keyboards, desktops, elevator buttons and doorknobs
- avoid close contact with someone who is sick
- if you are feeling unwell yourself, err on the side of caution, stay home and self isolate seeking medical assistance if the conditions persist
Blessings, prayers and health to all.
Your Emergency Exec Team:
Rev Glen (905-746-8135), Rev Katie, Catherine, Lisa, Kim and Tony (905-802-2985)